In this example, multiple SDN controllers are configured in a Wireless Sensor Network. The Wireless Sensor Network model in this example consists of the following configuration:
- A subnet with 4 wireless sensors,1 ad-hoc link, 1 WSN sink node, and a unicast sensor application running on one of the wireless sensors.
- Set Transport Protocol to TCP in Application icon present in the top ribbon/toolbar.
- Two wireless sensors are configured as SDN controllers.
- Open Flow protocol is enabled on all wireless sensors and sink node.
NetSim uses the following defaults for this SDN example:
a. The unicast application transmits data from Wireless Sensor_3 to Wireless Sensor_5.
b. Simulation runs for 500 seconds.
c. Plots, Packet trace, and Event trace is enabled.
Note: For a WSN network, ping command is not supported on ZigBee device since these nodes do not support ICMP protocol.
To simulate the example for multiple SDN controllers in WSN for SDN:
Open NetSim and Select Examples > Software Defined Networks > Configuring SDN > WSN Setting Multiple SDN Controllers then click on the tile in the middle panel to load the example as shown in below screenshot
The following network diagram illustrates the network setup related to this example as shown below Figure
- The sensors 1, 2 and the sinknode are configured as SDN controllers with Open Flow protocol
enabled in all the nodes.
The following image illustrates the settings done in the sensors configured as SDN controller as shown below Figure .
The sensor SDN_Controller_Sensor_1 is set as the SDN controller for Wireless_Sensor_3 and SDN_Controller_Sensor_2 is set as the SDN controller for Wireless_Sensor_5.
The following image illustrates the settings done in sensor 3 as shown in below Figure.
The following table lists the default setting for the wireless sensors.
Device Name Open_Flow SDN_Controller SDN_Controller_DeviceName SDN_Controller_Sensor1 Enable TRUE NA SDN_Controller_Sensor2 Enable TRUE NA Wireless_Sensor_3 Enable FALSE SDN_Controller_Sensor1 Wireless_Sensor_5 Enable FALSE SDN_Controller_Sensor2
Click on the Application icon present in the top ribbon/toolbar.
a. Sensor Application from Wireless_Sensor_3 to Wireless_Sensor_5 with Packet Size: 50Bytes, Inter Arrival Time: 1000000µs).
b. Set Transport Protocol to TCP.
- Additional analysis options such as plots, packet trace and event trace are enabled.
- Simulate the example. To do so:
a. Click the Run button. The Run Simulation pop-up window appears.
b. Simulation time is set to 500 seconds.
c. In the Run time Interaction tab, Interactive Simulation option is set to True.
d. Click Accept.
e. Click OK.
Simulation (NetSimCore.exe) starts to run. NetSimCore.exe displays the following message:
waiting for first client to connect.
- To use the SDN CLI Console: a. Right-click SDN_Controller_Sensor1 or SDN_Controller_Sensor2 and click NetSim Console.
Now, the client (NetSimCLI.exe) starts and tries to establish a connection with NetSimCore.exe.
The following image illustrates the NetSim CLI console
You can execute various SDN commands that are supported.