Underwater Acoustic Networks (UAN)
NetSim’s Underwater acoustic networks library enables users to design, simulate and analyze performance of underwater networks that use acoustic communication.
- Architecture & Integration
- Seamless integration with other NetSim components.
- NetSim Component #12 is Underwater Acoustic Networks (UWAN).
- Available with the standard and pro versions.
- Dependency: Requires Component #2 (Legacy Networks) for operation.
- Emulation capability available
- Network Stack
- Entire 5-layer TCP/IP network stack is modelled in each device
- L5 - Application Layer
- Offers a sensor application designed with small packet sizes and large inter-arrival times, suitable for underwater applications.
- Supports other NetSim applications like voice, video, FTP, etc. Users should consider the very low bit rates typical of UWANs.
- L4 - Transport layer
- Implements the UDP protocol.
- L3 - Network layer
- Single-hop transmissions require no routing configuration.
- For multi-hop transmissions, static routing configuration is necessary.
- Ad hoc (MANET) routing is on the roadmap for future releases.
- Devices can currently communicate only within the UWAN. External connectivity via a gateway is under development for future releases.
- L2 - MAC layer
- Uses the Slotted Aloha protocol.
- TDMA/DTDMA protocols are planned for future updates.
- L1 - PHY Layer
- Features the Underwater Acoustic PHY Model.
- Considers propagation delay based on the speed of sound influenced by water temperature, depth, and salinity.
- Supports modulation schemes: BPSK, QPSK, FSK, 16-QAM, 32-QAM, and 64-QAM.
- Allows user-configurable data rates and bandwidth.
- Utilizes SNR for packet reception, calculating BER from SNR-BER curves after factoring in propagation losses.
- Implements the Thorp Propagation Model, allowing users to configure parameters such as temperature, depth, salinity, surface wind speed, turbulence, and shipping noise.
- Typical simulation parameters
- Source Level: 170-225 dB//1 𝜇𝑃a
- Antenna Gain
- Forward error correction coding
- Coding Rates: 1/2, 2/3,3/4,5/6
- Frequency: 0.01 to 1000kHz
- Data Rate upto 255 kbps
- Min Receiver Sensitivity -120 dB//1 𝜇𝑃a
- Bandwidth upto 1000 Hz
- Mobility Models for Underwater Sensors
Users have the ability to configure different mobility models for underwater sensors, including:
- Random Waypoint
- Random Walk
- Statistics Overview
NetSim provides detailed summary statistics that cover various metrics:
- Error rates
- Trace and logs
- NetSim offers comprehensive packet and event tracing capabilities, allowing for deep network analysis and performance evaluation.
- Acoustic measurement log that records Tx-Rx Distance, Tx Power, Pathloss, Total Noise, SNR, Rx Power and BER for each transmission
- Source Code Accessibility
- Protocol source C codes are provided.
- Users can adapt the underlying codes using the MS Visual Studio development environment for specific requirements or enhancements.
- Integration Capabilities
- NetSim supports socket-based external interfacing to MATLAB, allowing users to expand their simulation and analysis capabilities.
- Detailed documentation(PDF 1MB)