Create a simple enterprise network, comprising of, two branches, head-quarters and a data center. Branches and headquarters are connected to the data center over the public cloud. In NetSim, users can model the network, by just adding the network elements, through click and drop, and renaming them suitably as shown below Figure 4-43.
Open NetSim, Select Examples->Internetworks->Enterprise Network then click on the tile in the middle panel to load the example as shown in below Figure.
The following network diagram illustrates what the NetSim UI displays when you open the example configuration file for Enterprise Network in NetSim as shown
Network Settings for Enterprise Network I
- We have changed the link rate for the outbound link i.e. Link 28 from Branch 1 as 2Mbps.
- Configured one FTP application from 14 to the file server 39 (File Size (Bytes) to 80000 and Inter_Arrival_Time (Sec) to 1), a Database application from 15 to the Database server 41, and eight email applications running between 16, 17, 18, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 and the Email server 40.
- Enabled Plots and Simulated for 100s.
Enterprise Network II
- In this sample, we have added more nodes via the switch and configured 3 FTP applications from systems 43, 45, 46 to FTP server 39 (File Size (Bytes) to 80000 and Inter_Arrival_Time (Sec) to 1), as shown in the below screenshot.
- Simulated for 100 seconds.
Enterprise Network III
- In this sample, we have changed the outbound link speed i.e. Link 28 to 4Mbps and simulated for 100 seconds.
Enterprise Network IV
- In this sample, we have changed the outbound link speed i.e., Link 28 to 2Mbps and configured Voice applications from 14, 15, 46, 45 and 43 to Head office 10 as shown in the below screenshot.
- Also changed Scheduling type to Priority under Network Layer Properties of Router33 Interface_WAN properties as shown below Figure.
- Simulated for 100 seconds.
Enterprise Network V
- In this sample, we have changed the start time for Voice and FTP applications to 40 seconds, email application to 30 seconds and database application to 40 seconds.
- Enabled Plots and simulated for 100 seconds
Results and Discussion#
Enterprise Network I Open metrics window and calculate the average delay for e-mail application present under Application properties shown below in Figure.
The average delay experienced by the e-mail applications is 2.38 s
Enterprise Network II: In this Sample, the average delay for email applications has increased to 10.99 s due to the impact of additional load on the network.
Enterprise Network III: In this Sample, the average delay for e-mail applications has dropped down to 0.27 s due to the increased link speed.
Enterprise Network IV: In this Sample, the average delay for the e-mail application has increased to 6.47 s since voice has a higher priority over data, and the routers will first serve the voice packets in its queue and only then route the data packets.
Enterprise Network V: In this Sample, users can notice that email application sees good throughput initially after which it is flat. On the other hand, the voice application throughput is NIL till 31 seconds, since it has no traffic, and starts picking up 31 seconds onwards.