What is a network emulator?
A NetSim emulator enables you to run real applications over virtual networks with wide selection of network conditions like error, delay, loss etc. Use of an emulator from development through pre-deployment phases obviates the need of redesigning, testing and tuning your applications, thus saving time, effort and eventually cost of setting up a network.
What you can do with NetSim Emulator?
• Network design and validation – Military radios, SCADA, Metro rail etc
• Application performance testing
• R&D in new protocol design
• Perform what-if analysis
What are the benefits of NetSim Emulator?
• Emulate a wide range of technologies – Switching, Routing, MANETs, Cognitive Radio networks, 4G-LTE networks, ZigBee networks
• A cost effective alternative to hardware emulators that have high costs and limited scale
• Reduced learning curve through agile testing in lab without complicated configuration
How does it work?
• Create the desired network in the Emulation server using NetSim GUI
• Run emulation client in the PC’s/VM’s where your live applications run
• Set the device IP addresses per the real PC/VM in the simulated network. Each live PC/VM corresponds to a node in the simulated network.
• Run your application and the emulation server
• Measure your application performance
You may view this introductory video on network emulation and how NetSim emulator works https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwOw10LuYbQ